Loving in Adversity

Matthew 24 concerns the difficult days prior to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD (v. 15-20, 24). Jesus speaks of political turmoil, famines, earthquakes and persecution that will result in some losing their faith so that they “will betray and hate each other” (v. 10). He then states that “Because of the increase ofContinue reading “Loving in Adversity”

Love and Spaghetti Trees

It was several years ago that the BBC ran a piece about a bumper spaghetti crop in Switzerland. There had been a confluence of ideal conditions for the Swiss farmers:  a mild winter, the nefarious spaghetti weevil was practically non-existent that particular year, and the Swiss, long known for their precision, had developed a strain of spaghettiContinue reading “Love and Spaghetti Trees”

Unity and Diversity

As our mission team made its way through the airport in Atlanta, we received several quizzical looks and a few questions. Most people wanted to know if we were actually traveling with each other or if circumstances had somehow conspired to bring two people wearing Alabama colors together with two people wearing Auburn colors. (I was temptedContinue reading “Unity and Diversity”

Little Fingers and the Body of Christ

I cut my finger on a chainsaw. Now that I have your attention I can tell you that it was one of those small chainsaws that is powered by a battery. Furthermore, the saw wasn’t even on at the time—I was pulling the plastic over off the blade when I sliced my little finger onContinue reading “Little Fingers and the Body of Christ”

Learning to Love

The following are from the book, Children’s letters to God by Stuart Hample and Eric Marshall: Dear God, If we come back as something, please don’t let me be Jennifer Horton because I hate her.  (Denise) Dear God, My brother is a rat.  You should give him a tail.  Ha ha.  (Danny) Dear God, Please send Dennis Clark to aContinue reading “Learning to Love”

Jesus and Organized Religion (4)

There’s more to say from Matthew 23 concerning Jesus’ teaching about organized religion. These bullet points will give you a starting point for your own research and study. 3. Jesus was for humility and against pride. (v. 5-12) 4. He was against building walls and for building bridges. (v. 13-14) 5. He was against winning people toContinue reading “Jesus and Organized Religion (4)”

Jesus and Organized Religion (3)

It seems that these days disciples of Jesus bear the responsibility of not only being apologists for anything and everything claiming to be Christian, but in the eyes of an increasing amount of people, they should be defenders of all religions and faiths—especially the radicalized ones. Read the vitriol of people like Sam Harris andContinue reading “Jesus and Organized Religion (3)”

Jesus and Organized Religion (2)

There are several approaches we could take in regard to Jesus and organized religion. We could speak about Him promising to “build My church” (Matthew 16:18). We could look at His words to the seven churches of Asia in Revelation 2-3 and discuss how, despite the failings of some of the groups, He claims themContinue reading “Jesus and Organized Religion (2)”

Jesus and Organized Religion (1)

From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn’t seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it’s not really compassionate. Sir Elton John  Organized religions in general, in my opinion, are dying forms. There were all very important when we didn’t know why the sun moved, why weatherContinue reading “Jesus and Organized Religion (1)”

If You Get To The Funeral Home You’ve Gone Too Far

We lived in Arkansas for fifteen years years and this is what would I tell people when giving directions to our church building.  If nothing else, it usually got their attention because for better or worse, funeral homes usually stand out.  Nothing else really looks quite like a funeral home.  Architecturally, they might resemble a church or aContinue reading “If You Get To The Funeral Home You’ve Gone Too Far”